The primary objective of the GEF-SGP is to assist in securing global environment benefits in the areas of biodiversity, climate change, and international waters through community-based approaches that also generate local benefits.
The GEF-SGP aims to protect the global environment by funding community conservation and sustainable natural resource use projects.
Since different local and national conditions require different kinds of interventions, project components may include one or more of the following: demonstration, capacity building, targeted research, policy dialogue and information dissemination, and raising awareness among critical constituencies.
Participation, democracy, flexibility, accountability and transparency are cornerstones of the SGP approach.
The programme encourages and supports the participation of communities, local people, NGOs, and other stakeholders in key aspects of programme implementation:
- Formulating country programme strategies
- Developing, presenting, and executing project concept papers and proposals
- Building partnerships to broaden the scope of the programme and to communicate and replicate successful SGP initiatives
- Raising public awareness concerning global environment issues and changing public attitudes and practices
- Influencing government environmental policies and programmes
- Mobilizing in-kind and financial resources to support project and programme sustainability